Sunday, January 30, 2011

Detox

Katrina's Week of Detox:


Brad came to me with the great idea of a detox... I had always wanted to do one, but never really knew how to do it. Brad did some research and there are many levels of detox, but we chose to do one that wasn't too difficult. We chose to do it in two parts. For five days we couldn't have any substances of caffeine, nicotine, or alcohol. This part was easy, because it just meant not drinking tea. The second half of the detox was the harder part. We couldn't have any processed foods or sugar. And we had to eat a lot of citrus, vegetables, and drink a detox tea. Cutting out sugar was the hardest. While it was a little hard during the five days, cause I was really wanting some chocolate and french fries, it turned out to be really good. Now that I've gotten off the detox, I realize I'm wanting more of the foods I was eating while on the detox. I can tell I felt a lot better when I was eating only these things! I've included a list below of what I ate. I stayed hungry sometimes, because it seemed like I couldn't eat enough food. I guess my body was taking in all the nutrients and getting rid of all the bad!



Day 1:
Egg (not supposed to eat, but I didn't know!), yogurt, oatmeal with raspberries and honey, tea, celery and peanut butter, peanuts, plain popcorn, tomato with pesto

Day 2:
Grapefruit, roasted potatoes with olive oil and herbs, banana and peanuts, popcorn, salad with tomato and red onion, sunflower seeds

Day 3:
1/2 grapefruit, banana, orange juice, potatoes again, yogurt, apple sauce, almonds, dried cherries, tea, asparagus and tomato, orange, grapes

Day 4: 1/2 Grapefruit, asparagus, yogurt and fruit, almonds, dried cherries, orange, grapes, rice cakes, tea

Day 5: 1/2 grapefruit, rice cakes, applesauce, fruit, yogurt, dried cherries, almonds, nuts

Brad's Detox Diet:

We followed the restrictions and guidelines of two sites and ended up merging the diets into one wholesome adventure. The sites were DetoxYourBodyToday.com and Juliette’s 7-Day Detox Plan.

As mentioned by Katrina we did the diet in two stages which was the hardest for me. I went from drinking almost 10 cups of coffee a day before Christmas to only a few after New Years to NONE during this diet! Quite a painful extreme... However, my week of the detoxification diet was very energizing. It consisted of eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables while laying off of processed foods and addicting substances such as caffeine and salt. Although it sounds hard to cope with such restrictions, it is actually a great change of pace.

Each day, I started off with a juice drink which consisted of the juice of one grapefruit, one lemon, and one orange with a pressed clove of garlic and a tablespoon of olive oil. You may think that was revolting, but it was quite filling and good. Lunch consisted of mainly fresh fruits with yogurt and honey, a fresh vegetable salad with avocado and a simple olive oil vinaigrette, and sometimes, baked fish, potatoes, or asparagus. Dinner was usually a fresh salad or some type of baked dish. It was washed down with a detox tea made by Traditional Medicinals. It really wasn’t all that appetizing, but it was definitely invigorating!

After such a week of restrictive diets and such, I decided to go all out this weekend and do my favorite dish that I have never cooked at home,
fish tacos. I also made a breakfast casserole fit for a king!
I think that this diet has made it onto my list of to-dos once or twice a year to replenish the mind and body. I feel more energetic and awake and would encourage you to try this diet. It could be the step toward a more healthy lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment