Saturday, January 15, 2011

Spinach Lasagna... Fast and Easy

As part of my after-Christmas de-cluttering extravaganza I have decided to rid my pantry and freezer of items I have been sitting there for months. So this evening, I decided to use things that have been taking up that much needed space to generate ideas for cooking. So what can I do with a half bag of frozen spinach and a jar of pasta sauce? Spinach Lasagna!


Spinach Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 Package (12 oz.) Fresh Egg Lasagna Sheets
2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
3 Cups of your favorite pasta sauce (I used the jar of Newman's Own Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce I had in my pantry)
1 1/2 Cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1 Package (16 oz.) Frozen Spinach, thawed and drained

Directions:
Cover the bottom of a 9" x 13" casserole dish with just enough sauce to cover the bottom. Add one layer of the lasagna sheets. Spread an even layer of the Ricotta Cheese over the sheets. Cover the cheese with some pasta sauce. Sprinkle half of the spinach over the pasta sauce. Spread the grated Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses over the spinach and top with another layer of Lasagna sheets. Repeat this layering until you get to the topmost layer. Here I left off the spinach. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes at 350°. During the last 5 minutes take off the aluminum foil and let the cheese brown on top. Enjoy with a salad and garlic bread...
Notes: This is by far the easiest recipe that I have cooked in a while. It just requires you to open up some packages and layer ingredients until you are out. I used the fresh lasagna sheets, but you could make your own or buy the dried kind (just remember to pre-cook them). You can also take the liberty of adding whatever sauces and herbs you enjoy in any Italian dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment