Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Storms & Cameras

Anyone who knows about Wisconsin weather knows the old saying "If you don't like the weather here, wait five minutes!" Well, I waited a few days and its still cold and snowy outside.


On Wednesday, the University of Wisconsin-Madison canceled classes due to 'blizzard-like' conditions. Madison also canceled ALL of its bus service. This meant most of those who travel by foot or public transit were stranded for the day. I spent my time digging myself out of the two feet of snow that the Snowmageddon 2011 dropped on us. Most of the early morning and afternoon was devoted to clearing the sidewalks for pedestrians. However, I did take the time to do some phone interviews for my research.


In reality, this storm was not nearly as bad as last year's. In 2011, we were hammered with about 24 inches of accumulation in three days. In December of 2009, I remember spending the day, a better part of 8 hours, digging myself and my car out of two feet of snow that accumulated over the course of one evening! I guess this crazy weather is just something that Wisconsinites come to love about the great northern experience.


Also, today I received a few new purchases in the mail that may help expand the content of this blog a bit. I just ordered a new camera bag (Lowepro's Slingshot AW 200) and the Nikon Telephoto Lens (AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor 55 - 200mm f/4-5.6g IF-ED). This should let me take my camera more places and capture more of the landscape photography I am so keen at trying to shoot. I am also looking to experiment with some HDR photography techniques and expand my skills and knowledge as a photographer. I use a simple, versatile, and lightweight D40 and enjoy using it on everything from food to landscapes... I am excited for what the future of photography may bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment