Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dinner & A Movie: Documentary and Comedy Stir Fry

Tonight, Kat and myself decided to do the Skype date thing and try a new veggie friendly recipe. I knew it was only a matter of time with trying the vegetarian thing out before a 'stir-fry' dish would appear and that would be tonight's cuisine. This was a Vegetable Lover's Fried Rice from one of my favorite recipe sites, Allrecipes.com. Actually the recipe wasn't fried rice at all, but more like a fried vegetables and egg with rice added later... anyway, I digress!

Boo's Spicy Vegetable Lover's 'Not So' Fried Rice

I have never been one for creating tasty dishes when it comes to stir-fry. In fact, I got a wok kit for Christmas one year, only using it a few times, and I remember nothing good ever came from it! However, this dish was fairly simple and very satisfying... And there was plenty left over for later in the week. I will add that I cheated with frozen vegetables and took the liberty of adding some curry powder and crushed red pepper for spiciness because it was a bit bland at first. Considering this is a basic dish and very easy on the wallet, I think I will be cooking this again.

This week Kat and I watched two shorter films instead of the longer ones we have been seeing. The first, Independent Lens: Between the Folds, explores the art of origami from its origins to the modern concepts of engineering, health, and postmodernity. It was a fascinating movie which helped kill time while the rice cooled. After we cooked the dish, we sat down to enjoy our meal to the comedy of Zach Galifianakis: Live. This movie was a bit awkward, but funny nonetheless... I have become accustomed to humor like this, in part, because it reminds me of lots of my friends, but I guess you have to like the stuff or live it to enjoy that kind of awkwardness!
I am beginning to think that this dinner and a movie trend will continue with delicious results...



Kat:
I on the other hand, don't think I'll be making this dish again. For some reason, me and frying doesn't work sometimes. I was really wanting some Chinese food last night, so Boo found this recipe to cook tonight, thinking it was going to satisfy my craving...


Chinese is one of those genre of foods that is best left to professionals


I ended up overcooking my rice because I left the boil on high too long. So my dish ended up being almost a rice mush, and trying to fry it didn't fix it. It turned out edible, not bad tasting, but not exactly flavorful. I think it will take a lot of practice and modifying for this dish. Or maybe I'll just leave the frying to Boo, and I'll stick with the baking.


I really enjoyed the movie about Origami; especially where the technicalities of the art is going. You would never think the practice of origami is ending up in space technology (unfolding satellites in space), medicine (finding cures of diseases), and even in teaching students geometry. It was eye-opening!


Kat's Bland Chinese Vegetable & Rice Mess

No comments:

Post a Comment