Monday, October 4, 2010

Potato Leek Soup and some Good Will

I came back to Lexington this weekend to visit Katrina and brought with me some fresh farmer's market vegetables from the Dane County Farmer's Market in Madison, WII.  Talk about your interstate vegetables!  I had made some potato leek soup earlier in the month and wanted to try it again with a little twist.  It is a fairly simple recipe... I can't stress that enough.  Katrina and I teamed up in the kitchen to make this fast so we could watch a movie and enjoy a beer or two.  I strongly recommend pairing this with the Flying Dog Raging Bitch IPA or the Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale.  

It's been a long time since I've had some potato soup, but I was amazed at how few ingredients are in this soup and how flavorful it is too. My mom came and had some with us and really thought it was good too. The weather here in Kentucky has really changed these pass couple of days, from sunny and pretty warm to cloudy, a little rainy, and quite cold compared to all the heat we just had! This is a good soup to bring in the fall season. I imagine I'll be making this again. We watched the movie Good Will Hunting which Brad really liked and I hadn't seen before. 


Potato Leek Soup
Ingredients
1 lb Leeks, thinly sliced
3 lbs Red Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 Tsp. Olive Oil
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
Water

Heat the Olive Oil in a medium frying pan.  Add the Leeks and cook until they start to brown slightly.  Add the Leeks, Potatoes, Salt, Black Pepper, Vegetable Broth, and Cream to a large pot.  Add enough water to the mixture to cover the ingredients.  



The peelers I got when I was in Madison a few weeks ago made peeling the potatoes (and apples for the pie) super easy!



Bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cover.  Cook for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.  Take a potato masher and mash the ingredients until it has reached a creamy consistency.  You can serve with some corn bread and sprinkle with your favorite fresh herbs. 

Brad in the final stage mashing everything up to make the soup
My vintage enamel pot (a find of the Sturgis Antique Mall) is perfect for making this soup!

Unfortunately, at this point in the process we were too hungry to remember to take a picture of our finished product all garnished and ready to serve.  You will just have to take our word that this dish was as visually pleasing as it was tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment